Habits 101: Create Your Own Evening Routine


This is the second installment in Habits 101, a series designed to help you create a little space for creating and/or tweaking your habits.

Last week, we talked about morning routines (if you missed it, go check it out!) and this week we’ll tackle what happens before you shut your eyes.

As a morning person, my morning routine is pretty fine honed. However, my evening routine, that’s a work in progress! While my exact routine varies day to day, I typically try to keep some things consistent. The evening is a great time to reflect on the day and set up the following day for success.

Consistent Bedtime
Did you know that the average adult needs seven to eight hours of sleep per night? 40% of Americans get less sleep than recommended! Yes, I know, a bedtime can seem rather juvenile. But, dear friend, I have found that waking and going to sleep at consistent times, is one of the best things I can do to feel refreshed all day long. For me, that consistent time is within the same 30 minute window every day. I also try to make sure that if my sleep schedule gets a little bit off because of life obligations, I try to repay that sleep debt within the next day or two.

Take Care of Your Body
For me, self-care is essential as I wind down my evening.  Around 7:30 p.m., I start my evening body care routine. I’ll take out my contacts, take a shower, wash my face, brush my teeth and floss over the next few hours. I like to take my time to stretch this time out so my mind starts to relax as I go through the routine. While I have your attention, can we talk about how important flossing is?! Flossing has been shown to help remove plaque which helps in staving off cavities and gum disease.

Renew Your Mind
I like to end my day by reflecting on three things that either brought me joy during the day or three things that I am grateful for experiencing. This little reminder of something that is important is a great way to end a day whether it was a long, trying day or the most amazing day. Take 5-10 minutes at the end of the day to reflect. This could be in the form of a gratitude journal, time for prayer or meditation or just a quick yoga practice.

Turn Off Devices
An hour or so before I go to bed, I start turning off or silencing all my gadgets – including my phone, television, iPad, etc. I know it’s hard, but trust me, one of the best things you can do for your evening routine, is to turn off electronics later in the day. It gives you time to spend with your family, read, meditate and get to the rest of your evening routine.

How will you change up your evening routine this week? Let me know how it goes by commenting here!

Comments

Popular Posts