Habits 101: Cultivating a Morning Routine


Today, we’re kicking off a new series. I like to call it “Habits 101” – we’ll talk about cultivating habits and how to change existing habits.

“Good morning sunshine!” My daughter frequently gives this greeting to anyone she encounters before noon. She (like me) is a quintessential morning person. We both wake up ready to start the day, with or without coffee! For those who don’t rise ready to take on the world, mornings can be tough. Especially when you stay up watching a late night football game (like my darling husband!)
One of the best habits I’ve ever done for myself has been to cultivate an intentional morning routine. While my morning routine typically consists of preparing a great healthy breakfast and a walk, it has taken several years of experimentation to figure out what works for me. Think about your current morning routine – do you have one? how do you plan it? do you have a backup plan?

How to shake up your morning routine:

Rise a little earlier
Most of us need 7-9 hours of sleep per night, but few of us get enough sleep. Set the alarm for 5 minutes earlier for a week, then 10 minutes earlier. Slow changes are easier to stick with and eventually become second nature.  Since you’ll be waking up a little earlier, you should also go to bed a little earlier. Start with 5 minutes earlier, then 10 minutes, etc. Before long, you’ll be going to bed earlier and rising earlier.

Start a spiritual practice
One of the most calming ways that I start my day is with a meditative walk. My neighbors will tell you that they see me walking anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour or so each day. During this time, I set my intentions for the day, listen to inspirational music, and intentionally interact with the world around me. For me, this process is experiential, but also deeply meditative. You might want to start with a walk, yoga, journaling or something else that can center you.

Hydrate
Water is the most essential thing you can do to kick off your day. Our bodies are comprised of over 60% water and it’s essential to rehydrate upon waking up. Give yourself an inner bath with 24+ ounces of water upon waking up and I’m sure you’ll start to see a difference. The practice of drinking water early in the day sets up the rest of your day to reach for water first.

Stretch!
My dog wakes up every day and gives himself a little mini stretch. He inspired me to start doing the same! Think about it, after sleeping for 8 hours in the same or similar position, your body is probably a bit stiff. Take the first five minutes once you get up and stretch your back, your sides and presence yourself to the day.

Eat
For the record, coffee isn’t breakfast. I love a good cup of coffee on occasion, but my go to breakfast is a couple of hard boiled eggs. I have found (through trial and error) that this works well for my body. Try out a few things to see what you like to eat for breakfast, what fuels you to start the day. My daughter swears by overnight oats (like this recipe from Food Network) while a friend of mine enjoys a yogurt parfait every day.

Until next time, take good care of yourselves J

Comments

Popular Posts