How To Manage a Team From Home

 

Hello, friends! We’re back with another #girlboss quarantine edition. As many of us are going into month six of social distancing and remote work, we may be seeking ways to connect with the teams we lead more effectively. As we figure out the new normal together, I wanted to share a few things I’ve seen that have worked well with friends and colleagues as we adjust to the current reality of working from home.

 

Create opportunities to connect

As we spread out across various time zones, cities and states, maintaining connection feels like the most essential thing we can do. Remember, social distancing does not mean emotional distance! My daughter’s department has done something interesting to connect – the team hosts a biweekly Friday afternoon happy hour where “shop talk” is forbidden (or at least discouraged!) and the team tries to just connect as people aside from being simply colleagues. Trying something like this, a coffee hour on a weekday morning, can be key in helping to feel connected and having a (scheduled) time to connect.

 

Maintain a sense of normalcy

One of the best things I’ve done for my mental and physical health during this pandemic is to maintain as normal of a schedule as I can. For me, this means lacing up my sneakers and heading for a walk around my neighborhood. I may stop and have a brief conversation with a neighbor (from more than 6’ away!) or just put in my headphones and listen to music. This routine is the thing that is most similar to my pre-pandemic life and gives me reassurance that though the world may be different, I can take time to do a small thing for myself.

 

Reach out to team regularly

Now, more than ever before, it can be easy to go days without interacting with your team. As a manager, I have had to pay exceptional attention to keeping up with the team happenings – personally and professionally. Although we all have many more video calls now, having a quick touchpoint with the team gives an opportunity to check in on how folks are adjusting to their new normal as well as keep abreast of challenges and opportunities.

 

Don’t neglect the humanity

Y’all, we are living through a once in a lifetime situation. And things are…hard. While you definitely don’t want to neglect your own humanity, recognize that everyone is going through tough times – taking care of their own health, caring for loved ones, wading through grief, virtual schooling, caring for home, and so much more. Check in with your team on a personal level, not about the work, but just take time to hear from them – their challenges, concerns – and respond as a person first, and as a #girlboss second.

Take good care of yourselves until we have our internet fireside chat again!

Comments

Popular Posts