What To Do From Home?



Many of us have been home for several weeks now due to the COVID-19 pandemic. I am eternally grateful to still be able to work with clients in a (mostly) remote way, but I recognize this current “normal” is nothing but normal for me. And I figure it might be for you as well! I am thinking of you all and wishing you the best of health, wellness, and security through one of the most difficult things many of us have ever been through.

I’ve made my way through a lot of Netflix, a couple of books, many walks in the woods (if you follow me on social media, I’m sure you have seen them!), and I find myself asking, “okay, what do I do now?!” So, here are a few things that I have figured out are keeping me occupied right now. And check out the resources list at the end for even more ideas!

1)     Staying Socially Connected through Social Distancing
Even though we are staying distant from each other physically, there is no need to emotionally disconnect from people. I find that the best thing to do (especially as an extrovert!) is to make sure I am maintaining connections with other people. I have made it a habit to call family members more frequently to check on them particularly since many live in different states and had happy hour video calls with friends. Anything we can do to stay connected is good for our mental (and social) health!

2)     Get Outside!
The store REI is famous for their tagline “Opt Outside”. I can think of no better thing to do right now than exactly that! Where I live, the weather has been quintessentially spring lately and the perfect way to get out for a socially distant walk where I frequently can wave at neighbors or have a brief chat. Not to mention, vitamin D is really amazing for you and is absorbed through your skin being in sunlight.

3)     Break Up the Monotony
One thing I have learned being indoors for weeks on end is how important variety is for me. I love to experience new things, learn about the world and get ready to take it on. I have found a couple of new shows on Netflix and Hulu to keep me entertained and cooked a lot more than I ever thought imaginable. Maybe now is a time to pick up a new hobby? Learn to bake bread? Or a time to virtually visit a museum you’ve never seen in person? Or, relax and take time to breathe. Whatever you choose, do something to care for yourself a little extra during this difficult time. P.S. I also believe it is equally important to be kind to yourself! Check out the podcast mentioned below with Kristin Neff.

Let me know if you do any of the things above by email (Patrice dot sumpter at bhhsgeorgia dot com), through social media on Instagram or Facebook! Take care of yourselves and check out the links below for many more resources!  

Resources:
On Everything:


On Eating:



On Culture:


 
On Working from Home:



On Staying Connected and Self-Compassion:



Comments

Popular Posts