When To Renovate



Welcome to another edition of the Homebuyer Help Zone! Today, we’re focusing on how to know when it’s time to renovate your home! My husband, Ron, and I recently finished a small renovation project in our home where we finished off the screened porch to create a more inviting living space. And it turned out…amazing (read to the end to catch a sneak peek of a few photos!)

As we discussed whether or how to expand our space, we talked through several questions to inform our decision. I think they may be a great resource to you as you decide how to best use your home to function in the way that fits your family!

Envision your ideal.
The first question Ron asked me when I said I wanted to renovate was, “how will we use it?” In our partnership, I’m frequently the person with an idea that is not always…let’s call it…fully fleshed out. (His ability to compliment my brilliant ideas with his pragmatism is one of the great treasures of our marriage! ๐Ÿ˜Š)
This small question forced me to think about how we could use the extra square footage in our home – more space for entertaining friends, an ability to host family holidays, better sunspots for our family dog, Copper, and the list goes on! But it also forced me to contend with what I would be giving up – an indoor/outdoor living space during the summer, a smaller backyard. For us, the good outweighed the negatives, so we proceeded.

Create a Timeline, Budget, and Contingency Plans.
Funding an extensive home renovation can be a drain on savings, but it can also be costly if you need to relocate to another space during some part of the renovation or have incidentals. As you meet with contractors, inquire about the quote and a timeline of when the work may be the most intrusive in your ability to live in the space. Depending on the renovation itself, there may be other items discovered that need repair in order to proceed with the original renovation. It is essential to have a plan for funding incidental expenses that come up. One of my favorite budgeting platforms, Every Dollar, has a great plan for saving for your family’s next renovation project.

Find a Contractor.
One of the most challenging aspects of starting a renovation is to find a contractor. I recommend soliciting recommendations from trusted people in your community as they often know the quality of work as well as may have previous experience as a customer of the contractor. Negotiating and comparing a remodeling quote can be difficult, but this article has great tips.

Enjoy…And Consider Next Steps!
Once the renovation is complete, enjoy living in your newly remodeled space! Invite friends over for a party, host out of town guests, and live in the moment. But sometimes a renovation may not help ameliorate the list of concerns with your home or may not be feasible within your current constraints. In that case, it’s like I always say (or maybe I’m just saying it for the first time ๐Ÿ˜Š): When a renovation just won’t do, Patrice will find a home that’s true to you! Feel free to reach out to me if I can assist you or a confidant in finding a new home! 

And, since I promised, here are a couple of photos of my recent home renovation!!

Comments

Popular Posts