Habits 101: Workspace Décor



Hi friends! Welcome back to another edition of Habits 101 J This week, we’re focusing on how to make the most of your home office space. As someone who is self-employed, I am always seeking to make my home office the most comfortable it can be!

When I moved into my current home, I immediately knew which space was going to serve as my home office. Once I picked it out, I had a vision for how it should look, feel, etc. I knew that I love natural light, so my desk is near the only window. I knew that I needed a small table where I could spread out paperwork and keep my desk uncluttered. But the first thing I did was to take inventory of what I already had in my previous home.

Repurpose
I looked around my previous home office space (where our daughters spent many days job searching after college), and took an assessment of what I had. It was sparse – but we had a desk, desk chair, computer, printer and a variety of decorative items. I moved and was changing careers at the same time, so I knew that I needed a home office which could accommodate an increase in frequency of use. But, I also knew I could reuse several of the items in my home. Several of my guests have commented that my home office feels very intentional and well appointed, but I started with items I had and built my current office style based on what I owned already and supplemented it with additional items that were more current, cohesive, and reflected my evolving style.

What’s Your Home Style?
It is well known that I love style – fashion, home décor, shoes – I love it all! As a realtor, I love finding a home that fits the personal aesthetic of my clients. When decorating my home workspace, I consider both the functionality of the space, but also the style of my home. Our home as empty nesters is full of furnishings that are transitional in style, comfortable and mostly neutral in color. We love whites, beiges, greys with pops of color. I wanted my home office to fit within that aesthetic, so I have modern transitional furnishings in beige, white and black. It’s simple, but fitting to what I needed. Then, I bought in a friend who professionally stages homes to help enhance and make the room more cohesive with the rest of the home. The final outcome is lush, rustic, modern and comfortable for me, and for my executive CDO (Chief Dog Officer), Copper, who has his own corner of the office for naps J

Setup Your Workspace for Success
Now, of course, I can’t leave you without a few tips and tricks (and some homework!) for the week. Let me know what you try and how it works out for you!
  • Create an organizing system (or dust off the one you have) – generate a space for incoming items, items to be filed, and items that need action
  • Clear your desk of unnecessary items – take 20 minutes and go through the papers on your desk
  • Ensure every item has a home to cut down on procrastination 
  • Reuse items in your home – this could be a box for organizing papers, an old journal for notes, or anything else you find!


Here are a few articles to help you find your workspace style, décor and a few productivity tips to help you go forward:


Comments

Popular Posts