Habits 101: Back to School Blues



Hello, readers! I’ve been away for a while, traveling and making money moves (that last part should be said in my Cardi B voice). But I’m back, and boy do I have stories to share with you! Follow me on Instagram to keep up with all things Patrice! Okay, now that I’m done with a little shameless self-promotion….on to today’s topic!

This summer flew by….I mean really flew by. It seems like it was just May, and now, school is back in session! I’m a mom, but I’m also an empty nester. My kids are in their late twenties and early thirties, but I remember like yesterday the days when my kids were anxiously awaiting the time to go back to school. Picking out new backpacks, meeting with new teachers, rushing through the end of their summer reading books, and changing schedules back to the hustle and bustle of the school year all come to mind when I think about back to school.
Going back to school is a transition time for both the parents and the children and can cause a little extra stress and anxiety. So, let’s all take a deep collective breath…..in……and….out. Here’s a few things that may help you deal with the back to school nerves.

Plan for Flexibility
Getting back into a routine is a challenge for an adult, but it’s especially hard for a child. Slowly transitioning from a summer routine of playing all day or summer camp back to the structure of school can help. One of the things I tried to do was to make sure that learning was incorporated throughout the summer in small ways – for example, going to a museum, visiting the library to check out a few books, or watching an educational program. This helped my kids stay in a routine of exploration without the structure of the school day.
When they transitioned back to school, my focus was on expanding that exploration but recognizing that they might need a little flexibility throughout the first month. We had a lot of conversations around what they were learning, where they were succeeding and struggling, etc. in order to address any issues with the transition. Our trips from school to home or times around the table at dinner provided the perfect venue for this.  

Have Fun
A lot of times we think of kids as stress free beings, but when they change schools, teachers, etc. it can be hard for them to adjust to new expectations, environments and people. To help ease the transition, I tried to always make sure to plan something special for a week or two into the school year – just to celebrate the new school year. Typically, I’d plan something fun – a trip to the zoo, a little shopping – just something to brighten their day.

Savor the Journey
I must say, writing this post brought back a lot of memories for me. Since my children are now adults, I look back on these times with a fondness and nostalgia I didn’t know I’d have. So my (somewhat unsolicited J) advice is to enjoy the journey for what it is – not what you’d hoped it would be. It’s a learning process for both us, as parents, and our children. Take a few moments to set some intentions with your kids around what you hope this school year will bring and check in every once in a while to see how things are going.

Take good care of yourselves, friends!

Comments

Popular Posts