What's Your Passion?


So. I have a confession, dear reader. I. love. Great. Television. Not great in the “win every Emmy” sort of great. No. I love a great drama. I love a great reality show. I enjoy great storytelling whether real or imagined. It is simply how I relax after a long day. A good meal. A glass of adult juice *cough cough* wine and I’m set! 

I think it’s because it is a space where I feel I can relax. A space where my soul gets rejuvenated. Give me one hour with Olivia Pope and my world transforms just for a little while. You see, for me to be the best version of myself, I need this space to cultivate and re-center so that I can be the best me in my true passion. 

When I was a kid, I dreamed of traveling the world. When I grew up, I knew exactly how to do that. I’d marry rich, and….nope. Wait. That was a Lifetime movie. I was much more realistic than that. I knew to fund my travel, I needed a day to day job. But I knew that work, whatever it was, should be something that had all the elements of the ways I refuel myself. The storytelling like a great show, the problem solving of a great drama, and travel! 

I have been fortunate to have found that twice in my careers. I spent many years working in the world of human resources and now in real estate. When I shifted careers, I had to figure out how to weave together what I was good at and what I am passionate about. I did a great deal of introspection and remembered that I frequently asked the following questions when I mentored colleagues in the HR world:

  • What is one thing about your current career you love?
  • What is one thing about your current career you dislike most?
  • What are your skills?
  • Who do you admire?
  • What did you imagine yourself being when you grew up?

You see, these questions made me think about my time, my talent, and my treasure. They lead me down a path of self-discovery. I began thinking of the houses I lived in, my passion for interior design, the storytelling that I enjoy from television, all of the amazing places I’ve been. Through that process, I rediscovered and cultivated a new passion. And in that rediscovery, I found a new version of me.

One of my favorite writers, Dr. Brené Brown, is a brilliant sociologist and writer. She once said in an interview with the creator of the Happiness Project, Gretchen Rubin: “I don’t have to chase extraordinary moments to find happiness – it’s right in front of me if I’m paying attention and practicing gratitude”. (Seriously, if you are not into Dr. Brown’s work, check out her top TED talk on the Power of Vulnerability. It really might change your life!) 

I challenge you (and myself!) to look for the moments of peace and gratitude this week. Look for the moments in your day that quietly rejuvenate your soul and figure out a passion that aligns with the answers to the questions above. Take good care of yourself 😊


Resources:


Want to continue your learning? Check out these quizzes:


Related post:
 


Comments

Popular Posts