The 10 Commandments to Selling Your Home

Last week I gave you my 10 commandments to buying your first home. I didn't want to leave anyone out, so this week it's the sellers turn. I have been on both sides of the table, and I know exactly what a seller should do to prepare their home. 
(You'll even get to see how I prepared my last home for sell below) 
Now sit back and take some notes if you're looking to sell. I'm positive you'll find something useful

1.Clear the clutter and depersonalize your home. 
Buyers need to see the home, not your stuff. Try your best to declutter any excess things you don’t use regularly. Consider getting a storage unit during this time, or neatly place your belongings.

2. Make updates where needed! 
You don’t have to completely gut your home, but buyers appreciate seeing updated lighting fixtures or new faucets. Consider this when you’re preparing your home to buy.

3. Be realistic with your home pricing!
 Many home owners want to charge higher than their competition. You want buyers to be eager to place an offer on your home, make it easy on them and price accordingly.

4. Add some curb appeal! 
Everyone loves pulling up to a beautiful home with nice landscape and a well-manicured lawn. Add some beautiful flowers and a nice reef to give buyers the “home sweet home” feel.

5.Stage your home to show how a room should look.
 That second bedroom that you have as your junk room, let’s make it back into a bedroom. You can do this by simply adding a futon to the room, or clearing out the junk so buyers can see what they are working with. 

**See below for how I staged my last home for sale. Notice counter tops in the kitchen are clear and it still looks homey. The buyers were able to envision themselves living here, and kept a lot of my curtains and design ideas. **


6. Be willing to show your home, and keep your home show ready.

   7. Pick the right agent! 
Having the right agent is very important when listing your home. Interview agents to see who aligns with what you are looking for in your listing process. Many agents will prepare a small presentation at your home to give you an idea of the services they can provide to you. Take notes and ask questions.

    8. Take great photos. 
My team and I are constantly looking up homes for our clients and pictures speak a 1000 words. Many agents will only take their clients to homes that look their best in the pictures. Make sure your home is featured in the best light with well-lit photos and clear pictures.

9. Brighten your home. 
Make sure lighting and colors of your home are bright and airy.

  10.  Know the best time to sell and make your home ready to go against competition. 
Spring and Summer are selling season, make sure you are able to compete with a nice, clean, and ready to sell property. 

I hope you were able to gain some great knowledge from this post, and feel ready to place your house on the market after inputting some of these tips to your home. I am always taking on new listings and would love to be your realtor of choice. If you are in Georgia, and seek a thoughtful and driven agent, please contact me. I am available daily from 10-7 p.m. Please call me at 770.639.5629, or send me an e-mail at patrice.sumpter@bhhsgeorgia.com.
Have a wonderful weekend and enjoy your day!
-Patrice 

Comments

Popular Posts